søndag 14. april 2013

Art of photography-assignment 3

Color relationship

The use of colors in photography has always interested me, and I have been trying to use it as a part of the composition for many years. Colors are quite often bringing out feelings in humans, both happiness sorrow and anger. That means that you can get strong reactions by using colors clever in photography. I have spent so much time in the past using colors as a part of the composition, that I have included some archive photos I like in the assignment. I hope the photographs will show that I have had a clear focus on color combinations. 

About the photographs

Again, I have tried to use images that means something to me personal. I hope the images will give the viewer some of the feelings I have when I look at them. Some of the images are taken in New York in the Sandy aftermath where I worked as a volunteer after the storm struck. I found it more interesting to use images from this operation, rather then images from around the block.
I have also included some underwater photographs from a resent trip to the Red sea , where the colors are absolutely fantastic. I had this assignment in mind during the dives, and I tried to capture color combinations whenever I could. I like to travel, and most of the images are from travels around the world.
I have always loved the northern part of  Norway and have also included some images from this beautiful place. My family is from this area. 

Retouching and development

I use Adobe camera raw as my developer. I always shoot raw files to maintain the highest quality in the images. I have saturated some of the images slightly more than I normally do, to emphasize the point.
Although not more then 25 percent. I also do some adjustments to the contrasts. 

Equipment

I have mainly used a Nikon D800 and my spare camera Nikon D300. The underwater images was shot with the D300 in an Ikelite underwater housing. I also use two external flash strobes under water to capture the colors. 

What I have learned

I have enjoyed the assignment very much. It has taken some time, but in-between work, family and other photography assignments, it is natural. The assignment has given me the opportunity to learn more thoroughly about the color relationship. I am certain that I will have more focus on the subject in the future. I hope you will enjoy looking at my photographs


Complementary colors

Colors opposite of each other seems to work very nice together. You can say they have some sort of chemistry. They are pleasing to the eye and add some interest to the image.

  img.1
Img.2
Img.3
Img.4


Simular Colors

Colors next to ear other or near each other on the color wheel . You can call them similar colors if you like. They are relatively easy easy to find in nature. Setting sun, cool winter evenings, or blue-green tones in the ocean often gives this kind of color relationship. 

Img.5

































Img.6

































Img.7





































Img.8







































Contrasting colors

Contrasting colors du not necessarily match each other. It is a color that stand out
Img.9






































Img.10







































Img.11



































Color accent

To capture color accent you can use any of the color combinations. A small object with a different color 
then the surroundings will get attention. 

Img.12




Img.13
Img.14









3 kommentarer:

  1. Good to see you back and with some strong images. And such variety. There is some value, after all, in lingering over assignments. ;-)

    SvarSlett
  2. Thank you very much, Jeff:-)
    I have to speed it up though, if I am going to manage this course.

    SvarSlett
  3. No need to rush, just pace yourself.

    SvarSlett