tirsdag 7. mai 2013

Assignment 4: Applying lighting techniques

It was too difficult to get a real scull. I could get access to a laborotary if I had the time to wait a couple of  weeks.That was too long time for me to wait. They could however, lend me a copy of a scull in live size. I went for the copy.....
I have tried to use different lighting techniques to reveal shape, form, structure and colour.
The monochrome  images have been converted to have a TRI-X 400 look. I have always liked that film.






Shape


To light the scull in order to outline its shape, I wanted to show as little detail as possible. I chose to use one silhouette picture and one with a flat front light. The edges are more important then the detail in these images. The first photograph is lighted with a Speedlight and a small soft box.
The silhouette was created with a backlighted diffusion panel. The image was slightly underexposed in camera to get a dark enough shape.




Img.1
Flat, one source lighting




Img.2
Silhouette, back lit diffusion panel









Form

To show the form of the scull I tried to make it look as 3 dimensional as possible. I wanted to model the scull with light. I used One flash and mixed i with the ambient light. On one of the photographs I placed a small flash inside the scull to get a different kind of result.



Img.3
Balanced lighting, ambient light and flash with softbox.




Img. 4
Flash inside scull






Structure

To show the structure in the scull I decided to use side lighting. That will create shadows and highlights on the rough surface on the cranium. 

Img. 5
Side lighting, flash



Img. 6
Side lighting, flash







Colour

The color on the scull is not very saturated. To make the colour stand out a bit, I decided to place it on a blue backdrop. I warmed the scull slightly with a cto gel.  The white balance in the camera was set to 2500 K. The warm colour on the scull is complementary to the blue backdrop.




Img.7
Side lighting, warm flash




Img.8 
Side/front lighting, warm flash 




















































Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar